Saturday, May 26, 2007

So it Begins

Introduction
Somewhere in the years of waiting for something new and exciting to happen, I finally discover and execute my plan of action. Since my first viewing of American Chopper and the look on my dad's face when he rode our ex-neighbor's Harley Softail several years back, I have wanted to ride motorcycles. Until now I have been the computer -savy fatass that spends hours on end on a damn computer wasting away good time while building up the pounds surfing the addictive web of information that we so call "the internet". I figured it was about time for me to pickup a new addiction and one that I could enjoy life better with.

Pre-Ownership
For 2 months I have planned the MSF Ridercourse, but after spending a day with the two instructors and a bit of confusion later, I was asked to leave as the basics were not learned and their was much to be learned. I understood that they were in a crunch, but the bikes we had were made for children (I mean a Honda Rebel 250 for my dad and the Suzuki GZ250 for me...) or small people. I have a size 14 foot and shifting on that 3/4 scale cruiser sucked horrible trying to get my foot in....(my new Ninja 250 is so easy to shift with in comparison). After a bit
of tears, I realized that I needed practice and their was only one way to do that: buy a bike and practice in my neighborhood.

Getting the bike
Monday I got the bike new outta the crate at the dealer for OTD pricing of $3500. Nothing much to it. The salesman tried to talk me into a CBR600 or Ninja 650 but I was like "wtf no....I'm a noob...this is a training bike". So I got it and I don't owe no money.

The longest wait
The sad part is that it has rained since Tuesday and will for another few days. I had a ninja in hiding for a few days, but with the break in the clouds and the drying of the road, I have finally gotten to ride a good deal.

Riding 7 miles and loving every bit of it
Since it was dry, today was my day to figure out the friction zone and get goin with the bike. I was stupid and got used to it without my gloves on. I popped the clutch a few times and not all at the beginning. Luckily this bike is not that powerful. I was thrown forward and my wind knocked out a tad, but 330lbs vs 310lbs (bike) = my win I guess as I was still on the bike.

What was funny was, I took a break and got my gloves and by that time all the kids are out on their golf carts and bikes after noticing that somebody had a new motorcycle and was riding it. This is funny because I had just learned how to smoothly release the clutch barehanded, but gloved is completely different. After a few people passing by like the little turds that they are, I tried getting out of a stop and stalled 5 times in a row....HOW embarrassing. I got better though.

My first exercises was to ride to the end and the street and back (dad's the licensed coach..) several times. This is where I was getting into the clutch problems, however once I did that 20 times, I progressed to going around the block. I realize that this sounds like a big "wup", but for someone like me...this is a big deal. I practiced some things that I was going to do in MSF such as: Obstacle avoidence (crappy/choppy plastic speed bump), dogs, children, idiots blocking one side of the road for party parking, and shifting to third gear.

Anyway, after a big 7 miles of practice and not revving more than 4500 RPM I am extremely pleased. I only got to 25 mph, but it was fun! I am glad to see that such a bike can carry my weight and preform so well. I am impressed and looking forward to doing it again.

Plans for the blog
This is more of a progress blog for me to show what I am now and what I am to become. I am still a noob, but by summer's end I hope to have enough under my belt to get my license and feel comfortable and competent about my skills. I will talk about other things that just "today's ride". I hope to get an Aiptek PV5800 and an external helmet cam to do vlogs for youtube when I get my license.

Till then, I bid you adu, but please RSS subscribe to my posts!

1 comment:

Derek said...

More posts more posts!